Call for Submissions: Exposition Review — Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, Stage & Screen, Experimental
“Flash 405 is Exposition Review’s multi-genre, short form writing competition, awarding cash prizes and online publication to the winners. It accepts entries every other month from January-August.
Our next round is open from February 4–March 5, 2018 and judged by Expo editor Rebecca Luxton. The theme is “Greed.”
NOTE: AS OF 2017, ALL SUBMISSIONS ARE JUDGED BLIND. (SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS.)
About Rebecca: Rebecca Luxton is the Fiction Editor of Exposition Review and worked on the Southern California Review while completing her Master of Professional Writing at USC. Now she’s a marketing professional with a love for all things fiction. Favorite authors: a rotating cast who currently include Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Mary Gaitskill, Stephen King and the late Joe Frank for his exceptional radio storytelling work. Follow her on Instagram @therebeccamarielle.
A note on “Greed” from Rebecca: Greed is the beginning of so many great narratives. Whether our hero is thrown into a hellish situation by another’s avarice, or if our narrator herself is delightfully (or horrifically) selfish, there are so many ways in which we can be greedy. Show me all of them, and don’t be shy.
- Fiction. A complete story, no more than 405 words (Get it?).
- Nonfiction. A complete story, no more than 405 words.
- Poetry. One poem, no longer than 5 lines.
- Stage & Screen. A complete scene, no longer than 4 pages. Please format according to the standard unpublished playwriting or screenwriting format.
- Experimental. A complete short form narrative utilizing innovative techniques and/or hybrid forms. Consider the spirit of flash as well as the limits of other categories for length guidelines.
Multiple entries are allowed. Simultaneous submissions and previously published works are not. One piece per entry.
Include a short, third-person bio in the cover letter.
The judge will choose a 1st and 2nd place winner, along with up to 3 Honorable Mentions. All will receive publication on the website. 1st and 2nd place will also receive a cash prize–and here’s the fun part. There’s no limit to how much you could win! Here’s a breakdown:
- 1st prize: Online publication + 40% of all entry fees.
- 2nd prize: Online publication + 20% of all entry fees.
- Honorable Mention: Online publication.
Once you submit, be sure to share with your friends! The more entries we receive, the larger the prize!
All submissions are judged blind. Please save and submit your work as [TITLE]_[GENRE] and remove all identifying qualities from the final document. Note, we still require your name and a brief bio with your Submittable submission form/cover letter.”